See Measurable Benefits when Taking the Design-Build Approach
Kenny Electric is a capable design-build partner with a record of reliable performance and successful projects.
Kenny Electric specializes in electrical and security design, maintenance and facility services, and building automation. Our highly skilled workforce includes more than 300 people trained and licensed for industrial and commercial electrical work across Colorado, Texas and Wyoming.
Kenny Electric design-build projects include:
- Denver Crime Lab
- Ritz-Carlton Hotel Denver
- The Residences at Ritz Carlton
- Downtown Aquarium, Denver
- Eyetech Pharma
- Array Pharmaceutical
- Mayne Pharma
- Vanguard Charter School Colorado Springs
- Globe Immune
Design-build requires experienced contractors who understand how to implement the process. Based on research and input from its members and the architectural/engineering/construction industry, DBIA has identified design-build best practices that can directly affect project success. Here are four best practices that outline the type of commitment required for successful project execution:
- Design-build team members should be educated and trained in the design-build process. All project teams should have senior leadership committed to the success of their projects.
- The Project team should establish logistics and infrastructure to support integrated project delivery.
- At the outset of the project, the team should establish processes to facilitate timely and effective communication, collaboration and issue resolution.
- The Project team should focus on design management and commissioning/turnover processes and ensure alignment among the team as to how to execute these processes.
The benefits of design-build have been demonstrated repeatedly in terms of cost and schedule reduction and decreased litigation compared to design-bid-build projects. According to research cited by the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA), design-build projects have offered notable time and cost benefits, such as:
- Design-build projects are delivered 33.5% faster on average than projects that are designed and built under separate contracts or design-bid-build situations
- Design-build projects are constructed 12% faster and have a unit cost that is 6.1% lower than design-bid-build projects
Reduce Risk and Cost, Improve Schedule and Work Quality with Design-Build
In design-build projects, design and construction services are contracted by a single entity, the design-builder or design-build contractor. Traditional methods split design and construction services into separate entities with separate contracts, typically requiring the project owner to manage design and construction, as well as settle disputes between designer and contractor.
Design-build encourages using a procurement process that:
- Focuses heavily on the qualifications of the design-builder rather than price
- Encourages early participation of all key trade contractors
- Emphasizes performance-based requirements over prescriptive requirements
- Develops realistic project budgets, and clarifies the budget in procurement documents